Editor/Program Researcher (“EPR”)
Location: Beijing, CN
Reports To: Vice President, Program (VPP)
As a native English speaker, the Editor/Program Researcher (“EPR”) will serve as the principal English language resource for EFC’s Chinese staff, and a key communication link between the U.S. head office and Beijing office of the Energy Foundation. Additionally, he or she will assist the Vice President of Programs (VPP) to conduct policy research and strategy analysis, mainly in English but with occasionally use of Chinese-language materials. This position is based in Beijing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Editing and Polishing
- Work with EFC staff to edit and refine concept notes, grant proposals, funder reports, board reports, presentations, and other documents in English. This requires close attention to detail, frequent engagement with EFC’s expert staff, and a flair for distilling complex policy and technical background into accurate and compelling messaging for international audiences and EFC stakeholders;
- Edit and polish reports in English developed by Chinese grantees for publication as needed;
- Edit and polish written English copy for use in web-based materials, e.g. news and information designed to raise awareness about EFC and its grantees’ and partners’ activities;
- Assist in preparing and polishing other English-language content as needed.
- Policy Research and Strategy Analysis
- Assist VPP to conduct research on policy and regulatory issues; Write reports or newsletters to summarize research findings, targeting western audiences, especially EFC’s funders;
- Help VPP to analyze trends and in the field and landscape dynamics, and write reports on these developments;
- Assist VPP to write the integrated cross-program strategies, as well as funder proposals and reports as needed.
- Serve as a communications bridge between the U.S. head office and Beijing office;
- Provide necessary information to U.S. head office, based on the needs of U.S. team as well as funders;
- Other ad-hoc work assigned by VPP.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Native English ability, with excellent English writing and editing skills;
- Strong communication skills, able to write clear and compelling documents for internal and external consumption;
- Strong research and analytical skills, able to use logical thinking and reasoning to solve problems;
- Background in Chinese policy, energy, and/or environmental issues a strong advantage;
- Basic written and spoken Mandarin ability preferred – advanced language skills a plus;
- Detail-driven and patient with editing and polishing;
- Strong interpersonal skills; experience working across cultures;
- Ability to remain organized with minimal supervision, to prioritize work activities, use time efficiently and develops realistic work plans;
- Ability to produce professional work products under time pressure, with attention to detail;
- Ability to successfully work both independently and on highly collaborative team projects;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, even under pressure;
- Ability to be flexible, responsive, and proactive, with love of learning and keen sense of responsibility;
- Ability to demonstrate an energetic, positive, cordial, and professional demeanor and attitude at all times and with sense of humor;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Be a fast learner and keep professional knowledge and skills up-to-date.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work under pressure.
- Mission-driven – Dedicated to advance the work of EFC for altruistic reasons and the health of the planet, can connect personal values to the mission and purpose of EFC.
- Ethical and Fair – Adheres to EFC’s core values and beliefs under all circumstances; models the behaviors; has candid discussions devoid of hidden agendas, doesn’t give preferential treatment.
- Integrity – Reputation of trustworthiness and honesty, keeps confidences, admits mistakes, and doesn’t misrepresent self for personal gain.
The Energy Foundation China is located in the CITIC building in Beijing, easily accessible via public transportation. The office environment is a typical office, with moderate noise levels, shared kitchen facilities and a collegial atmosphere. On occasion, there are activities or events after work hours.
The Energy Foundation China provides a comprehensive benefits package, including competitive salary and generous vacation.
Please email a cover letter and resume, subject line "Application of Editor/Program Researcher", to firstname.lastname@example.org.